General questions about the project

Hi!

I found out about this project from Cryptodidacte on Twitter (@florian, you do an awesome job :grin: ), and I think it has a great potential ! So, I have a few questions or observations :

• Is there a whitepaper and a roadmap available yet, or it’s still under development ?
  • I saw you use Python 2.7. Why exactly, knowing that this version is officially deprecated since Jan. 1st of this year ? Is there some compatibility problems with newer releases (3.x) ?
  • Will it be possible to run a node in non-Intel based devices (typically like Raspberry Pi 4) ?
  • Will the UNS token have a value, and be tradable for other crypto or fiat currencies ? Or it’s designed to be “just” a non-tradable protocol token ?
  • (I’m don’t really know much about DPoS, maybe that’s not a good question) What will incite nodes that are not elected delegates to continue running ? That’s one of the things I don’t understand about DPoS in general : why will they continue to use energy and resources if they can’t get anything in return ?
  • How decentralized will the Universal Name System be ?

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

Lounès

2 Likes

Hi @louneskmt
some quick answers

1. Our first whitepaper has been published mid 2018. It’s available on github here. The core technical concepts are always valid while business area have changed a bit and require an update.

2. Running a node on a Raspberry will be possible but is not in the roadmap yet. First tests have not been satisfied, too many things to rebuild and maintain in parrallel.

3. The uns token is required by the protocol but it’s also used to reward network players (e.g. block forger delegate) and to unlock network services. It will be tradable but it’s not designed to be speculative. More to come about the token eco in the coming weeks. Keep in touch.

4. Good question about DPOS and incentives for non elected network players. A dedicated post could be usefull :slight_smile: . In the meantime and in summary:

• everyone is participating to the robustness and to the resilience of the network, even nodes that are not block forger. This is because of the P2P protocol syncing the full copy of the database.
    • if you’re a stakeholder of the network, you would want to get your own node (under you control) to ensure to keep a full copy of the data.
    • a relay node (meaning not forging) could be very usefull for integration of the uns.network with your own DAPP, or webplatform using our authentication solution. It sould be seen as a bridge between your own IT infrastructure and the distributed one.
    • an if you want to get rewards, you need to be in the waiting list, with a running node, demonstrating your skills to operate it :wink:
    • in a later stage we plan to rewards Relay Node participating to speed-up distributed reading.
  5. uns.network (Universal Name System) will be fully decentralized (see the whitepaper) in a later stage.

Regards

1 Like

Hello @lool, thanks for your answers!

I’m reading it right now :ok_hand:. Is there an updated roadmap available, as the WP one is almost a year and half old, to see the progress you’ve made ? Also, it would be interesting to make the WP available directly from the main website!

Can’t wait to see that :ok_hand:

What about Python 2.7 ? I think you may have missed this one among the many others :grin:

I’ll certainly have some other questions after my full reading of the whitepaper, so I’ll come back to you!

Have a great day.

Running an UNS node on Arm has been successfully demonstrated, but not integrated into our software delivery pipeline. As some of our native dependencies don’t officially support arm architecture (sometime it builds, sometimes it doesn’t build), we prefer not to ship an Arm node with a poor quality from one version to another. Stay tuned :innocent:

Python tool is needed by the NodeJS toolchain when an application requires “native” dependencies written in C/C++. It is out of our control, node-gyp is the master.

For years, node-gyp used to be compatible only with Python 2.7, but Python 3.x compatibility landed 3 months ago.
uns.network documentation has been updated a few days ago.

1 Like

Hi @damien!

Ok, thanks for the clarification :ok_hand:.

I will :grin:

All right then! I was just wondering why, knowing that 2.7 is deprecated :ok_hand:

I’ve almost finished my reading, and I need some time to write down all the questions that have been going through my mind, I’m very interested and curious about this project!

Thanks!

Hi, I’m back! I’ve fresh new questions for you haha :grin:

1. Will it be to possible to setup something to generate a new address for each transaction (i.e. time the @unik-name is used to do a transaction) ? In the whitepaper, I’ve only seen cases with a specific address saved in a @unik-name’s registry. I know for exemple that in hardware wallets, we have a xPub key (Extended Public Key) which can be use to generate unlimited public and private key pairs. I also saw some informations about Hierarchical Deterministic Wallets here and on Bitcoin Wiki.

2. I didn’t really get this in the whitepaper :

Category of @unik-name
Every @unik-name belong to a marketing category. Marketing categories are defined according to multiple properties such as the alphabet, the scarcity and the length, the level of demand during the beta phase…

@unik-name category is used by marketing team to plan marketing actions and to define pricing of services such as minting a new @unik-name into UNS blockchain or unlocking premium features.

Could you enlighten me about that part, please ?

1. Is there more details available about Smart Actions and Programmable Logic ?

2. And what about UNS Storage Providers ? What data will they store ? Will they be just people running a specific “storage node” with a large storage capacity, or private partners, etc ?

3. Does the UNS Open API work directly « inside » the blockchain (through smart-contracts, on-chain) ? If not, who/what will be the third party on which it will rely (supposing there’s one) ?

4. How exactly will work the classical authentication system with password and recovery functionalities ? Does that mean that the @unik-name owner using it doesn’t have his private key of his UNIK token ? Is that possible to setup like a smart-contract to take care of this task (I really don’t know nothing about smart-contracts, so I don’t even know if it’s possible) ?

Furthermore, don’t you think it’s not really secure to have a single “normal” password for your @unik-name, to be connected to all your accounts ?

But, on other hand, I can totally understand “ordinary” people,
who just want to have like an unique account and password for their whole internet things, without stress (as said many times in this WP :grin:).

1. How will work the system authentification (to prove you’re actually the @unik-name owner you’re using) ? Only with the Unik Name App (if yes, I think we can admit that’s not the most convenient way) ? And assuming you own your private key and don’t use the password alternative ?

2. If any @unik-name owner wants to edit his registry (change permissions, add a label, addresses, etc) and doesn’t have anymore UNS tokens in his possession, is he “stuck” ? What can he possibly do ? Buy them ?

The supply of UNS is fixed and all UNS tokens are minted during the Token Sale phase at the initial stage of the network.

So, there’s a fixed supply, and the rewards of Validators, Storage partners, etc come from spent UNS by users ? Don’t you think one day, it will be a lack of tokens, if the networks and the solution grow ?

And that’s it, all the questions that came through my mind reading your whitepaper. Thanks in advance for your responses!

Have a nice day,

Lounès

EDIT : You can see the specific answers provided in separate posts (links below).

A user can get UNS tokens on an exchange (when listed), and also by providing feedbacks on his authentications experience, and by succeeding security challenge. More to come :wink:

1 Like

We’ve written the original whitepaper during the ICO boom, with a fixed supplied at startup. Since then, we’ve significantly redesign the token economy of our network. We release it in the coming days.

Thank you for all your questions

1 Like

Thanks a lot for all your answers @lool, can’t wait to read the token economy paper :grin: